If you have a Windows 7 or 8 license, you can get a free upgrade to certain editions of Windows 10 directly from Microsoft until July 29, 2016. See Microsoft's How to Upgrade to Windows 10 for complete upgrade information.
Windows is Microsoft's desktop operating system. This description applies to the Enterprise edition, but you can choose to download and install either the Pro or Enterprise edition through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center if you request this product.
This donation provides one Windows upgrade license. You should request one upgrade license for each computer you are upgrading. See the Product Use Rights Summary for Desktop Operating Systems for specific licensing details.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available
You can choose to download the current version or the previous version of this software. You can find out which version is the current one on the Current Versions of Microsoft Products page. In addition, you can download the software in 32-bit or 64-bit version and also any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
You should consider requesting Windows Operating System Upgrade if:
- Your organization uses software that is not compatible with Windows 8.1, the latest edition of Windows
- You need to upgrade a PC running an older version of Windows, and most of the computers at your organization are already running Windows 7
Upgrade License Only
Only certain editions of the Windows operating system qualify for upgrades under TechSoup Asia's Volume Licensing agreements with Microsoft. See the system requirements to make sure your device qualifies.
If your device doesn't meet the requirements for an upgrade product, you might be eligible for a full operating system license through Microsoft's Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations program.
- All Windows Pro capabilities: Windows Enterprise provides all the capabilities of Windows Pro, including a modern interface, apps, cloud integration, and enhanced security.
- DirectAccess: Mobile workers can connect securely to your organisational network anytime they have Internet access - without the need for VPN. IT administrators using Windows Server can manage mobile computers by updating Group Policy settings and distributing software updates anytime the mobile computer has Internet connectivity.
- Windows To Go: You can create a copy of an employee's Windows workspace on a USB drive. This allows employees to access a secure, bootable version of their Windows Enterprise desktop on another PC regardless of that PC's operating system. The device must meet Windows hardware certification requirements.
- BranchCache: Your organisation's PCs can cache files, websites, and other content from central servers running Windows Server so that content is not repeatedly downloaded across your network. This can minimise network traffic between branch offices and the main office.
- BitLocker drive encryption: BitLocker encrypts hard drives more quickly to protect sensitive data from being accessed by unauthorized users who come into possession of any of your organisation's computers.
- Start screen control: Administrators can control the layout of the Start screen to ensure that certain apps are accessible and also to enforce consistency across all devices.
You can learn more about the latest OS' newest features in this article: What's New in Windows 10 >>
Important Volume Licensing Information
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organization has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the email address in your organization details is up to date by visiting your account
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
- 1-GHz (or higher) 32-bit (x86) processor
- 1 GB or more RAM
- 16 GB available hard-disk space
- 1,366x768 (or higher) resolution display
- DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0 or later driver
- DVD drive
Additional requirements to use certain features
- For touch — touch screen
- For accessing the Windows Store and downloading and running apps — Internet connection and Microsoft account (formerly Live ID)
- For sound — audio output
- For Windows To Go — a USB flash drive certified for Windows To Go
- For DirectAccess and BranchCache — Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012
- For BitLocker data protection — Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or 2.0
- For BitLocker To Go data protection — USB flash drive
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.