Microsoft Visual Studio Professional Edition is an integrated development environment (IDE) for individual developers and small teams. It supports development of applications for Windows, SharePoint, the cloud or web and mobile-device platforms.
This donation provides one license and a subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN). The MSDN subscription includes a server license for Visual Studio Team Foundation Server and one CAL. See a summary of Volume Licensing Product Use Rights for specific licensing details.
Which Versions of This Software Are Available
You can choose to download the current version or the previous version of this software. You can find out which version is the current one on the Current Versions of Microsoft Products page. In addition, you can download the software in any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have software development experience, you can use Visual Studio to develop custom applications for your organization, and, developb mobile and web applications as well for your constituents and donors.
Use major programming languages:
- Develop for Windows 8.1:
- Use default project templates that provide the files, resources and structure for various kinds of Windows Store apps
- Use various tools to debug, optimize and publish apps
- Develop for the Web:
- Test the same page, application, or site in a variety of browsers
- Develop web applications against a server identical to IIS
- Develop for the Cloud:
- Develop, deploy, and test applications and services for Windows Azure
- Use profiling tools to identify the possible causes of poor performance
- Use Visual Studio LightSwitch templates to implement common application logic
- Develop for SharePoint:
- Accelerate project development with project templates and design tools
- Ensure that sites function correctly with testing and optimization facilities
- Use a deployment wizard to package a SharePoint site and upload it to a web server
Free Express Editions
For organizations that do not need the full functionality of Visual Studio, Microsoft offers free, downloadable Express editions.
Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN Subscription)
This version of Visual Studio includes a two-year subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN). Visit the Microsoft site to learn which MSDN benefits this product includes.
To activate the MSDN subscription, you must perform an additional step while retrieving your license keys from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center website. To activate an MSDN subscription, click Subscriptions in the VLSC menu bar and follow the MSDN link to enter information about the subscribing user. When the process is complete, the user will receive an email with a subscriber ID and directions to the MSDN website.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the email you receive from TechSoup after requesting this product.
Expect two emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the email address in your organization details is up to date by visiting your account
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup to obtain your donation through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.