Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 is a project management and version control application for software development teams. It's typically deployed in organizations with several developers who need to collaborate on one or more projects.
This product includes a server license. You may run one instance of the server software in one physical or virtual operating system environment on the licensed server. Each user or device that connects to Team Foundation Server must have a Team Foundation Server user or device client access license (CAL).
Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscriptions include a server license for Team Foundation Server and one CAL. The Visual Studio editions available through TechSoup include a subscription to MSDN. Therefore, if your organization has received a donation of a Visual Studio product through TechSoup, you will probably not need to request Team Foundation Server.
If you have an experienced software development team, you can use Visual Studio Team Foundation Server to simplify the interactions among team members and roles.
- Storyboarding: The Storyboarding Tool is an add-in for PowerPoint that enables developers to work with users to plan how the application should function.
- Feedback: The Team Foundation Server database stores feedback from stakeholders throughout the development process. The team can then develop and assign tasks to deal with the comments.
- Bug tracing: An operations team can record and capture the sequence of events that caused a bug. The development team can then update the software in a timely manner.
- Web portal: The Web Access application allows access to Visual Studio through a web browser.
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
If you have a broadband Internet connection, you can download the installation files and burn them to a disc instead of having them shipped to you. Learn more about going green by downloading software. If you need installation media shipped to you, answer "I'd like discs sent at no additional cost" when prompted during the check-out process.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
- 2.2-GHz (or higher) processor
- 1 GB or more RAM; 2 GB for standard installations; 10 GB for full installations including SharePoint
- 8 GB available hard-disk space
- DVD drive if installing from disc
- Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit); Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit); Windows Server 2008 with SP2 (64-bit only); Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 (64-bit only); Windows Server 2102 (64-bit only)
- SharePoint integration and reporting features are only available if Team Foundation Server is installed on a server operating system.