Lync for Mac 2011 is a communications client that works in conjunction with Lync Server or Lync Online. It provides tools for communicating and collaborating with one or more users at once through a variety of methods.
- Communication tools: Users can talk to one user or a group of users through instant messaging (IM), voice, or video and can switch back and forth between modes. Users can see if other users are available, away, or busy within their contact list as well as within other Office for Mac applications like Outlook.
- Online meeting tools: Users can schedule, join, and invite participants to online meetings through Lync for Mac or within Outlook. Users can also join meetings directly from within an IM conversation. The Meet Now command allows users to start impromptu online meetings.
- Desktop-sharing tools: Users can share their desktops with one or more users at any time during a conversation. Users can also share files or grant control of their desktop to another user while sharing their desktop.
- Connectivity with other clients: Users of Lync for Mac can have IM conversations with contacts who use Lync 2010 or Communicator 2007 for Windows or public IM clients such as AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, and Windows Live Messenger.
Also Available with Other Products
Lync for Mac 2011 is also one of the applications included in the Office for Mac 2011 Standard suite.
Requesting the Right Number of Licenses
Request one license for this product for each computer on which you will install it. For example, if you will install it on 10 computers, be sure that the number 10 appears in the Quantity box on your View Cart page.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. If you have a broadband Internet connection, you can download the installation files and burn them to a disc instead of having them shipped to you. Learn more about going green by downloading software. If you need installation media shipped to you, answer "I'd like discs sent at no additional cost" when prompted during the check-out process.
The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the donation email sent to your organization email address after your eligibility has been verified and your administrative fee has been received.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- TechSoup will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
- Intel processor
- 1280x800-pixel (or higher) display
- DVD drive
- Mac OS X v10.5.8, v10.6, v10.7 or later
- For Meeting Join — Safari 5; Firefox 5
- For audio and video features:
- 1 GB or more RAM
- Broadband Internet connection
- Microphone and speakers, headset with microphone, or equivalent device
- Compatible webcam, such as a built-in Apple iSight webcam
- Connectivity to Lync Server 2010 or Lync Online (Lync for Mac does not work with Office Communications Server 2007 R2 or earlier versions)