When we say Data Analysis, it is common for us casual users to initially think about Excel. Quoting one speaker I encountered before, we often 'live in spreadsheets' when it comes to anything related to data, generating libraries worth of spreadsheets for all important sets of information that needs to be recorded.
Ginny Mies shares how telling your data visually is now easier than ever with the help of web-based infographic tools. She recently had to create an infographic for a project. Having very basic design skills, she was looking for something intuitive and easy to learn that could create an attractive final product. After surveying many of the programs out there, she found a few that meet these requirements. Ginny writes:
Tools for Creating Infographics, Charts, and Diagrams
This inaugural post highlights the big nonprofit technology stories of 2012, including making websites viewable on mobile phones, using mobile phones more in the workplace, cloud computing, social media fundraising, foundations and Microsoft donations, greater self-sufficiency among NGOs in developing countries, and some cutting edge things like hackathons. This was an original December blog post by TechSoup's Jim Lynch:
Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep Builder are software applications for data preparation, analysis, and visualization. Through a drag-and-drop interface, they allow users to connect to most databases and spreadsheets, create and share interactive visualizations and dashboards, and prepare data for analysis. No programming is necessary.
This donation provides a two-year license for both Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep Builder for one user. This user may use the software on up to two devices during this time. The product will cease to function entirely after two years unless the subscription is renewed. See the Subscription Details section below for more information.
Benefits for Organizations
You can use Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep Builder to
- Reduce time creating reports
- Combine, shape, and clean your data in preparation for analysis
- Automate tasks like grouping similar objects, replacing data from other fields, and creating calculations
- Provide transparency to donors and funding organizations through interactive visuals that illustrate program progress and impact
- Analyze donor trends to be more effective with marketing campaigns and fundraising
- Perform rapid and detailed analytics by linking data from multiple sources
Knowledge of data structure is recommended, but not required. If you are comfortable creating spreadsheets, you should be able to learn to use Tableau.
- Preparing data: Tableau can take data from many sources, combine it together, and create associations between data.
- Connection to multiple data sources: Tableau can access data from sources such as Excel files, QuickBooks Online, Salesforce, Access, and SQL databases.
- Choice of visualization types: Depending on your selected data, you can display it on a map or as a bar chart, pie chart, heat map, area chart, and more.
- Dashboards: You can create dashboards that display several different visualizations at once.
- Stories: You can create a sheet that contains a sequence of worksheets and dashboards that work together to convey information. Users click story points in a navigator to proceed through the sequence.
- Filtering: You can set up filters on your visualizations so that you can choose to view parts of the data at a time. For example, you might want to view the data for a particular region and income level.
- Sharing: You can share Tableau workbooks with other Tableau Desktop users, as static images or PDF files, through the free Tableau Reader, or online with Tableau Public.
Tableau also offers free consultations to nonprofits through Tableau Service Corps.
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
When TechSoup Asia approves your donation request, we will send a message to your organization email address with instructions for obtaining and activating this product.
|System Requirements||See Tableau system requirements.|
|Continuing Service After Two Years||You may renew your subscription by requesting another product through TechSoup Asia every two years before the subscription expires. Tableau will notify you 30 days before expiration, both by email and within the product.|
|Existing Subscribers Eligible||This offer is available to current Tableau subscribers.|
|Previewing Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep Builder||If you've participated in the free trial for Tableau, or previously downloaded a free trial, you can request this product to activate your trial version.|