Organizations may request new product, Get Genuine (GG) full Windows operating system (OS) products one time over.
A newer edition of Windows is available through TechSoup Asia. For help deciding whether to request the latest edition, see TechSoup Asia's Upgrading to Windows 8: Four Questions to Consider.
Windows 7 Professional is the professional edition of the previous Microsoft operating system. Compared to Windows Vista, it features enhanced performance, a simplified interface, expanded search capabilities, and more secure networking. This 32-bit version operates on a computer with a 32-bit processor and 32-bit drivers.
Benefits for Organizations
You should consider requesting this product if you need to install Windows 7 on a PC that falls under one of the licensing scenarios described above, and most of the computers at your organization are already running Windows 7.
Special Rules for Get Genuine Product Requests
· Eligible organizations may place only one request ever for Get Genuine products.
· Requests for Get Genuine products may not contain any other products.
· During check-out, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Small and Medium Organizations must be accepted on behalf of the organization.
Note: Since Get Genuine products are part of the Windows Desktop Operating Systems title group, an organization's request for them will reduce the number of operating system upgrade products it may request in its current two-year donation cycle.
Software Assurance Not Included
Get Genuine products do not include the Software Assurance benefits that come with most other Microsoft software donations. If an organization installs a Get Genuine product, that product will not have the benefit of receiving a free upgrade to a newer version of Windows when it is released in the future. However, the Get Genuine product will provide a computer with a legal base operating system upon which Windows upgrade products that include Software Assurance benefits offered through PNGO Program can be installed. Additionally, organizations that request Get Genuine products will be able to downgrade their donation to earlier Windows OS versions at no cost through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
Service Pack 1
Service Pack 1 includes all previously released security, performance, and stability updates for Windows 7.
Installing Windows 7
Windows 7 Professional requires significant system resources, as detailed below. For help evaluating whether you need to upgrade your computer before installing Windows 7,see TechSoup Asia’s Should You Upgrade to Windows 7?
TechSoup Asia recommends a "clean install" of the Windows operating system: The process is described in TechSoup Asia’s Upgrading to Windows 7: Steps and Checklist.
Important Volume Licensing Information
With Windows 7, your organization can choose between two types of volume license keys for product activation: a Key Management Service (KMS) license key or a Multiple Activation Key (MAK). A Key Management Service (KMS) key for Windows 8 is available by default on the Microsoft Volume Licensing website; that is, this is the only type of key you will see unless you request a MAK.
A KMS key requires at least 25 computers on a network for activation. If your organization has fewer than 25 computers, you should request a MAK from the Volume Licensing website after receiving this product.
You have 30 days to complete activation. See Microsoft’s Activate Windows 7 on this computer.
The administrative fee for this Get Genuine product is not refundable, and the product cannot be exchanged.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires installation media and a license key. The license key allows you to use the installation media to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for.
Expect three emails:
1. When your donation request has been approved, TechSoup Asia will send a message to your organization email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested.
2. Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
3. TechSoup Asia will send an email with information about managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
- 1-GHz (or higher) 32-bit (x86) processor
- 1 GB or more RAM
- 16 GB available hard-disk space
- DirectX 9 graphics device with Microsoft Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0 or later driver
- DVD drive
Additional requirements to use certain features
- For sound - audio output
- For Microsoft Windows XP Mode - an additional 1 GB RAM, an additional 15 GB available hard-disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on
- For some Microsoft Windows Media Center functionality - a TV tuner and additional hardware
- For Microsoft Windows Touch Technology - touch screen
- For HomeGroup file and printer sharing - networked PCs running Microsoft Windows 7
Product functionality and appearance might vary with system configuration.
Software Assurance Not Included
Get Genuine products do not include the Software Assurance benefits that come with most other Microsoft software donations. If an organisation installs a Get Genuine product, that product will not have the benefit of receiving a free upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Windows when it is released in the future. However, the Get Genuine product will provide a computer with a legal base operating system upon which Microsoft Windows upgrade products that include Software Assurance benefits offered through TechSoup Asia can be installed.
Additionally, organisations that request Get Genuine products will be able to downgrade their donation to earlier Microsoft Windows OS versions at no cost through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).